01622 689700 / 01474 887688

Seek legal advice before transferring ownership of a property

A change in the legal ownership of land must be evidenced in writing and should be accompanied by the completion of a Property Transfer Deed, which must be filed with the Land Registry.

Where there is a mortgage on the property, the Land Registry will usually request that the lender provides a letter confirming that it is happy with the terms of transfer and proposed changes to ownership.

If somebody is being removed as coowner of the property they will need to provide written confirmation that they consent to being removed.  In some cases, the mortgage provider may not be willing to relieve one of the parties from their obligations under the mortgage.  In such circumstances, the solution may be for the party retaining ownership of the property to reapply for a mortgage on their own or with a new co-owner.

It is highly advisable, when transferring ownership of a property, to instruct a specialist property lawyer to carry out the process for you.

For more information on all aspects of transferring ownership of a property contact Head of Residential Conveyancing Alan Williams by email at