Return to the High Street
After over 100 days of lock down for most businesses, Maidstone Town Centre is now open to all non-essential retailers and further restrictions are being lifted from early July to see most remaining businesses such as hairdressers reopen. Many people might feel a little trepidation about returning to the High Street, but the One Maidstone Team have been working hard at Maidstone Borough Council to make sure it is safe to return.
There are a number of changes to the town centre to make it safe for all. This includes:
- Social distancing rules apply and new signage is in place to reinforce it.
- Queues outside shops will be limited to the length of the shop front only.
- Shoppers will be asked to keep left when walking down narrow streets.
- One Maidstone Ambassadors will be available to offer information and advice to shoppers and visitors.
- Kent Police will continue to have a visible presence in the town centre.
- Public toilets are now available in The Mall shopping centre and Fremlin Walk.
- Some street furniture has been moved to allow more space and what remains will be cleaned daily.
- Car parks are all open and there is the RingGo cashless payment options. Payment machines are being cleaned regularly.
- Restaurants, pubs and cafés will now begin to reopen.
- Public transport is still running and a face covering should be used when travelling on it.
Maidstone Borough Council received £1.4m in funding from the Government to support businesses at the beginning of the pandemic, with most awards being made of £10k. It is hoped that businesses will have been able to weather this storm and that with the return of visitors to the town centre, they will begin to recover financially over the coming months.
Ilsa Butler, BID Manager at One Maidstone commented: “The past few months have been the most unusual and difficult times we have all had to face and our town centre businesses have suffered immeasurably. We want to welcome back people to our town centre and support our business community through what is uncharted territory for us all.”
As a business in the heart of the town we are also delighted to be back and we are once again now open to visitors and have a number of measures in place to protect those who need to visit our office in person. Our team are on hand to deal with all of your legal queries. If you would like to arrange a face to face appointment, contact us today.