Relationship breakdowns and Collaborative law
The breakdown of a relationship does not have to be acrimonious and the Collaborative process enables the couple to finalise the details of their split via face to face discussions in a series of four-way meetings.
These meetings are attended by the separating couple, each supported by their own Collaborative lawyer. The parties and their lawyers work together, with the lawyers providing support and advice, with the aim of facilitating an amicable settlement to whatever issues are facing the couple. It can be a very successful way of resolving issues concerning children and finances.
The process begins with all four parties signing a Participation Agreement to commit to the process and agreeing that all discussion takes place at the meetings, in a spirit of openness.
Collaborative law is very different to the typical legal process as it reduces hostility and encourages communication. Other benefits are that:
- Working together enables the best outcome to be reached for the whole family.
- People tend to maintain a better, ongoing relationship with their ex-partner which is especially useful where children are involved.
- It can be faster to identify and resolve issues.
- It is a much cheaper way of resolving issues compared to going to court.
- You are guided by an experienced family solicitor.
Julie Hobson, Partner at Gullands Solicitors is a Resolution Collborative Solicitor and will work with you to help achieve the best outcome for you and your family. Free initial telephone consultation offered and evening appointments available.
For more information about our services email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01622 689700 or visit www.gullands.com