Gullands’ approach to legal services focuses on enduring relationships. We have a strong heritage of being a high street family firm with traditional values. People know where they stand with us and that we can always be relied upon.
We also try to make a positive impact on the local community by the way that we conduct our business: we support initiatives that contribute to the development of Maidstone and Kent as a whole, and provide legal and business support to selected charities.
Some of our clients are amongst Kent’s best known employers and our assistance when needed, has often had a significant impact on their ongoing success.
Gullands is particularly well known for the major role it has had in supporting local almshouse charities since 1875. We are additionally active supporters of the Kent Wildlife Trust and are involved in various forms of philanthropy, both as a firm and in support of our high net worth clients.
We are keen to support our people in a variety of community initiatives. Our staff are involved with a wide spectrum of activities from the local Girl Guides, to charity theatre productions and providing on the job skills training for teenagers.
Our partners sit on a number of boards such as Kent Wildlife Trust and the Kent Community Foundation.
Outside work, our musically oriented staff perform at charity concerts, criminal lawyers teach children about the consequences of crime, and specialist lawyers undertake pro bono work to help get local charities off the ground.
Gullands has been firmly part of the Maidstone community for over a century.
Our story begins in 1910 when Mancunian Frederick Gulland came to Maidstone having been appointed Secretary to the Maidstone Gas company. At that time there was a firm of solicitors called Ellis & Ellis who practiced out of 35 Earl Street, Maidstone.
Frederick’s son Douglas Gulland was articled to Mr Charles Ellis of Ellis & Ellis and after a stint working in London following his qualification, was asked to return to become a Partner in 1939.
Like all young men, Douglas entered military service during the war. When he was demobbed he returned to find that Ellis and Ellis had deteriorated badly during the intervening years. Mr Ellis was keen to sell and Douglas purchased the business and set up his practice in Mill Street.
Douglas subsequently asked his younger brother John to consider a move from banking to the legal world. He accepted and Gulland and Gulland were born when John qualified in 1949. John’s son Blair Gulland is now Chairman of the firm, continuing Gullands’ century old association with the town.